Yes, toilet paper. Even the public restrooms here don't have it for you. I ALMOST found out the hard way...that would have been quite unpleasant.
After haggling for backpacks and whatnot we set off for the hotel on the other side of town. We took a tuk-tuk, who dropped us off right outside. Then Lili and I realized that we should probably hit up the 7-11 for last minute supplies. I also picked up some baby wipes...you never know.
We returned to our hotel and started packing. A couple changes of clothes, some toiletries, a plastic bag...and nothing else. Eek!!!
Next morning we woke up ready to set out on our adventure. Once again our whole group was piled into the back of a truck and we took off for the mountains. We stopped in a town before we got there so that our guides could get food for us (they'll be cooking the whole time). Everyone bought weird fruits and snacks and passed them around to try. We had some seriously good stuff (and some not-so-good, but hey...) and then it was time to go!
Our first stop was Mork-Fa Waterfall which our tour guide, Dong, informed us was the second most beautiful waterfall in Thailand. Cool. We got to play in it for awhile. The ground was really rocky and it hurt my feet so initially I wore my sandals. Then one came off and started floating away...quickly. I ran after it but must've slammed my digital camera into a rock along the way because I've cracked the screen. It still works though, so I am not terribly upset. Luckily I got the shoe. Phew!
From there we got in the truck and went to a roadside restaurant and had rice and curry. Really good stuff...but it was time to start the trek.
The truck dropped us off at some random spot...there was a narrow path leading up the hill. We started walking up it. Let me tell you, I am in fairly good shape but 90+ degree weather plus the beating sun and a steep incline...it's a test, that's for sure. Up, up, up we went through the jungles (where we saw some water buffalo, but mostly just cool scenery) until we finally made it to our hill tribe's village where we would be spending the night. Along the way our guides would show us bugs, fruits, and other things of interest. The coolest is that you can actually HEAR bamboo growing. It's the craziest thing but it's a pretty loud creaking noise that comes from the rapid growth of the bamboo trees.
Anyway, it turns out the village's main source of income is through their rice farming. And since it was the green season they were right in the middle of planting. As we scaled the rice paddy they allowed us to help plant some and some kids followed us around giggling and playing in the mud.
Then we went to the one room hut that they had arranged for us all to sleep in. No complaints. There was a pillow and a blanket for everyone and the beds were on platforms surrounded by mosquito netting. The guides let us help make the spring rolls for dinner. We made a ton. Fortunately dinner came pretty soon after because we were all exhausted and hungry. I have to say that I think the spring rolls were the best part. And highly addictive.
Everyone stayed up for a little while. Some people had a guitar and were singing. I sat with the guys and Pip and we had a few beers before throwing in the towel. Ahh, what a day...
No comments:
Post a Comment