Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Bangkok...Day 1

Well it turned out to be a tad bit easier than expected to leave Krabi as it was pouring rain when we left...talk about timing!!!

Back in a longboat and then to the Krabi Airport. We went to the Thai Airways ticketing counter again. Good thing we didn't buy the tickets online! We would have paid double the price!!!! Thai Air was running its green season special so tickets throughout the country were half off! Seriously starting to marvel at our luck!

I don't know why I found this next bit of information to be particularly hilarious but I am still laughing about the movie we watched while waiting for our plane...Rollerball. Talk about awesomely bad movies! We were entertained right up until they started boarding our plane. We made it through the flight without a hitch and then were ready to start phase two of our adventure!!

Once at BKK we got our bags and headed out to the taxis...they come in all colors! I liked the pink ones but we took a green one. He took us out to our hostel right off of Sukhumvit Road. It's sort of deceptively large. The rooms have A/C but the common room does not. Apparently they are booked solid. I didn't really see anyone but the heat is a little oppressive in the city during the day.

Lili and I asked David (the owner who knows everything there is to know about Bangkok, I swear) where we should go to eat. He told us to just go up to Sukhumvit and walk down it. Fair enough. We put our stuff in the room and took off.
Walking down the street couldn't have been more different than Krabi if they'd tried. It was lined with stalls selling, well, everything. Actually it very much reminded me of Canal Street (in NYC). We finally settled on a place that looked like it had good Pad Thai and sat down to eat. Turned out, the food was amazing!! Once refreshed and full we set off in search of souvenirs to bring back for people. We found some good stuff...not telling what though!!!

We went back to the hostel a bit sweaty, it really is terribly hot, and turned on our A/C and took naps. Hopefully ther'll be something going on tonight...I'm sure there will be!

No comments: