Well I am completely beat.
It was time to be a tourist and I certainly managed to log some hours in. I took the metro to the Assemblee Nationale and just started walking. I saw l'Assemblee Nationale (duh), Les Invalides (where Napoleon and his son are buried...courtesy of Hitler), Le Champs-Elysees, the French equivalent to 5th Avenue, Le Grand Palais, Le Petit Palais, the outside of the Musee d'Orsay and, of course, la Tour Eiffel!
Basically, I just walked and walked and walked, following street signs and occasionally glancing at a map to try and see the most. I did climb to the top of the Eiffel Tower (722 steps SUCKED and I felt a touch of vertigo...basically I clutched the railing the whole way up and down...next time I am taking the elevator) and the view was awesome. My pictures totally do not do it justice. I could see Montparnasse, le Sacre Couer, le Musee de Louvre along with everything else I had seen along the way. Very cool. I even stopped to get something to eat and drink on the 1st floor.
Then I walked out into the famous garden in front of the tower. I was suddenly surrounded by men in kilts. Eek, what was going on. So I went and joined the Scottish pep rally. Turns out, Scotland is playing France tomorrow evening in soccer. I'll have to keep that in mind.
I went in search of a wine store as we were told that there is a great place to go drink wine and view the city at night. I found some local stuff for 3 euro and bought a couple bottles for later.
After some more walking I hopped back on the metro, exhausted. I got back to my apartment in Montmartre (the same neighborhood as le Sacre Couer and the Moulin Rouge) and let myself in for a quick nap. On the way I saw Nina who was checking out. Scott left this afternoon so it looked like I was in for a major overhaul of roomies! A couple minutes later one of my other roommates came in. His name is Max and he is from Los Angeles. We agreed to have a wine party that night and I took a nap while he went out for a run. While he was gone a new guy checked in (David from Memphis) and he wanted in on the wine party too. Awesome.
When Max got back the three of us decided to go try the pizza place down the street. When you walk in they give you a complimentary glass of sangria and unlimited water (unlimited is a foreign concept in most of France, boo) so we were excited. I got the pizza Apocalypse which consisted of the kitchen throwing everything back there on a pizza. Then they crack an egg on top. Suprisingly delicious, though I couldn't finish it. We all also had wine with our plates. The combination of a full day of walking outside, drinking wine, and not enough sleep got the best of us so we decided to go drink back at the apartment.
Our other roommates are Rubens (from Spain) and Carlo (from Italy). So my room is me and four guys. Haha, at least no one else is trying to hog the one mirror that is in the apartment. We drank all the wine and will probably all sleep verrrrrrrrrrrry soundly!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment