Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Eireann (that's Ireland to you!)

And I thought Gaelic was out of use! Nope, everything is in English and Gaelic here. Well, everything I have seen in the last 3 hours I suppose...

The flight went well. We took off a bit late which was miserable because the gate at JFK was not air conditioned (how did people used to survive?) and there were several hundred people at it. Eww. I went to the food court and got a slice of pizza and a water. I debated the small bottle of wine but decided against it because it was more money that I was wanting to pay. Meh...

After the first trip this summer the 6 hour plane ride was a breeze! I suppose it also helped that I had two seats to myself on the VERY full flight. Before I knew it I was told we were getting ready to land. I opened my window and looked out over what looked like the biggest patchwork golfcourse you have ever seen. Everything is just so green!

We landed this morning around 8:30 am (Shannon time) and got through customs and baggage quite quickly. I changed some money and took out a little more (they wouldn't take an old bill so I had to get some). Then I went and bought a bus ticket to Leenane. I had to take a bus transfer at Galway which is a bit south of Leenane.

I met a very nice young man at the bus stop who told silly stories about his time in the States where he apparently spent 3 months fixing bikes and living on the beach in San Diego and was now going back to university in Galway...2 days late! He was funny and kept me entertained for awhile. Then I pulled out my book and started reading. I laughed when he did the same and it turned out to be the new Harry Potter...I'm very glad that 23 year olds everywhere read it and not just me, haha!

Along the way we drove through pretty little towns. Brand new condos with smart new VW's outside would be the next-door-neighbor to a cow pasture. Makes for good company I suppose. I loved looking at the stone walls that seemed to run for miles and the whole GREENNESS of this country. And the weirdest thing is that menacing wrought-iron gates between proud stone pillars will be protecting a small farmhouse and a run-down shed. Hey, your house is your casle no matter what the shape and size I suppose...

Well I got off at the Galway station at about 11 and went to the help desk because I could not find Leenane's timetable anywhere. That was because there is only one bus a day there and it is at 6:15 pm. So I have 7 hours to kill. I am just going to explore Galway a bit (which appears to be a very college town). I have just now found a very nice little cafe that smells fantastic and had resonable internet rates. I suppose I will grab a bite and then go be touristy...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Glad you had such a lovely flight. Enjoy you day in Galway, and keep posting!